Read this blog on my website: www.paulhembree.com

Saturday, March 13, 2010

More website changes

New and improved look!

Still working on making downloadable .pdfs of my scores. I continue to debate how I should publish my scores - obviously, self-publishing is increasingly prevalent among young composers of concert music, so there is really no debate there. But I do wonder which would be more effective:

- Scores / parts available for download and printing, no restrictions
OR
- Scores / parts available for download but printing is password protected (maybe charge $5 for the password?)
OR
- Scores / parts available for download and perusing but not for printing (focus on physical copies, which would be priced based on reproduction costs)

Computerized score readers could potentially threaten the efficacy of password protecting printing, since that wouldn't be necessary.

I'm leaning toward the middle road. I retain more control over my intellectual material while still making it available for quick download. Essentially I just want people to play my music, but at the very least I would like them to email me and tell me when and where they are playing my music, and I want them to send me a physical copy of the program. I could at least collect a small amount of royalties through ASCAP that way. I need to collect some benefit from my creations, since they have taken a great deal of time and effort to create, but I also want them to have a life of their own. I suppose I need to find the right balance.

No comments: