Read this blog on my website: www.paulhembree.com

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Festival and Conference Appearances in Spring 2015

I'll be performing either my computer music, or that of Roger Reynolds, at several festivals this Spring.  Here is the current schedule:



The JACK Quartet, Ross Karre, Roger and I will conduct several public "materials under construction" workshops, showcasing our FLiGHT project.  

I will be performing the computer music part from near the mixing console, processing materials from the strings with four algorithms of Roger's design, implemented by myself and several other programmers over the last decade.  These four algorithms, PROLIF, MATRIX, SMEARZ and THINNR, transform in real-time pre-recorded samples of the string quartet.  Pre-recording the samples ensures optimum balance and clarity of basic sonic materials, while doing the transformations in real-time allows the computer musician to respond to the live performers as would an acoustic chamber musician.

Ross will similarly be controlling live video processing of footage chronicling the early history of humankind's aspirations for flight.  The JACK quartet will perform both Roger's written music and improvisations responding to the computer music processing and imagery.

March 6: National Student Electronic Music Event (N_SEME 2015)

At N_SEME 2015, this year at Bowling Green State University, I'll be performing my new work Apocryphal Chrysopoeia (2015).  I'm excited to share the work in Bowling Green, not only because of the festival, but because the university is one of a few in the country that has a D.M.A. in contemporary music performance.  So it will be a bit like home (UC San Diego).  I'm interested to see what the contemporary music culture is like at another institution where it is integrated into the performance curriculum.


This concert will feature another performance of FLiGHT.  I'm also excited to see the JACK Quartet play Conlon Nancarrow's 3rd string quartet on the same concert.  Nancarrow has been one of my touchstone inspirations throughout my compositional career; virtually every one of my pieces is influenced by his contrapuntal style in some way.


This year, SEAMUS is at Virginia Tech, where an old acquaintance of mine (from the New West Electronic Arts and Music Organization Festival in 2007), Charles Nichols, teaches.  Again, I'll be performing Apocryphal Chrysopoeia.  This will be my first SEAMUS appearance.

No comments: