Read this blog on my website: www.paulhembree.com

Friday, August 10, 2012

Industrial Modernity in the Information Age

I recently experienced, not so much an epiphany, but a synergistic focusing, of several ideas I've had lately (whether or not they are completely mine is another matter).  While proof-reading Petra's dissertation proposal, which is on the female experience of 19th century industrial modernity, I realized that one of the many promises of the Information Age - that a creative class would be formed in the wake of post-industrialization - was failing to be realized, precisely because the so-called Information Age is really just a change in the locus of industrialization.   The rationalization that was carried out upon craftsmanship in the 19th century has now fully centered itself on artistry.   The creative class has been undermining itself by rationalizing the irrational, once a core component of creating art.  The efficiency with which art objects, or whatever they may be now, are created now verges upon the efficiency of the assembly-line.  I am completely engaged in this process myself - my own artistic "tricks" have been rationalized, as I strive to write better and better Pd and MAX patches that aid me in portions of my compositions (from sound synthesis to symbolic manipulation, which eventually becomes notation).  Have we created monsters?

No comments: