Read this blog on my website: www.paulhembree.com

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Whirlwind Tour Winding Down

It has been an intense two weeks.  First, I flew to NYC to work with the Jack Quartet on Roger Reynolds' new string quartet, video and electronic sound work, currently titled FLiGHT.  That lasted five days, and we did our preliminary recordings in the nice facilities at Opera America.  I ended up staying in Sunset Park, a few blocks from where ICE rehearses.

We may be experimenting with new control procedures for Roger's classic algorithms on this project, allowing the quartet players to have some control over the electronic sound.  This might involve accelerometers built into modular, portable projection surfaces.  But this is all talk for now... we are only in the earliest planning stages.  Roger is the ultimate arbiter.  I'm excited to see how things move from here. 

Although I think living in New York would be draining, it was quite refreshing to be in a place where new music is thriving, and with people who are dedicated and excited about it. 

Once I returned from NYC, the next day Petra and I started a four day drive to Urbana-Champaign from San Diego (she accepted a substantial visiting faculty position in the German Studies department at the University of Illinois).  We had some items that could not be shipped by any method except for freight, so it was the most economical to drive, shockingly.  I do love driving across the West, and we got to see some good friends in Colorado and Kansas.  It is always energizing to see what artistic endeavors your friends are engaged in.  I also love to see old climbs that I've done, such as the Kelso Ridge on Torrey's Peak, visible from I-70 near Loveland Pass.

After moving Petra into her new place, we drove down to St. Louis for Petra to defend her dissertation.  She's now officially a doctor.  It was also a blast to see old St. Louis friends and places, such as the Tavern of Fine Arts.  And finally we are back in Urbana-Champaign.  I'll eventually drive back to SD in about two weeks to finish my degree this coming year.

No comments: